Top 5 Gets Shuffled, But St. Francis-Mountain View Hangs On To The Top Spot In NorCal Baseball Rankings After Thrilling CCS Finals Win •
NorCal Baseball Rankings
All records are through Saturday, May 28. Previous rank is in parenthesis.
PICTURED ABOVE: No. 1 St. Francis-Mountain View celebrates its CCS Div. I championship. (St. Francis Athletics photo/Twitter)
1. (1) St. Francis-Mountain View 29-4
2. (4) De La Salle-Concord 24-6
3. (2) Foothill-Pleasanton 25-5
4. (7) Palo Alto 26-6
5. (3) Valley Christian-San Jose 24-7-1
6. (6) Bellarmine-San Jose 21-9-1
7. (5) California-San Ramon 23-6
8. (8) Woodcreek-Roseville 25-3
9. (9) Archbishop Mitty-San Jose 21-10
10. (10) Del Campo-Fair Oaks 29-5
11. (16) Granite Bay 19-13
12. (17) Whitney-Rocklin 28-5
13. (11) McClatchy-Sacramento 28-4
14. (12) Colusa 31-0
15. (13) Franklin-Elk Grove 24-7
16. (18) Cardinal Newman-Santa Rosa 24-5
17. (19) Pleasant Grove-Elk Grove 27-3
18. (20) College Park-Pleasant Hill 16-9
19. (14) Vanden-Fairfield 28-5
20. (15) Clayton Valley-Concord 20-4
5 TEAMS KNOCKING:
21. Elk Grove (20-9), 22. Ukiah (20-9), 23. Vista del Lago-Folsom (23-7), 24. Sacred Heart Cathedral-S.F. (17-11-1) and 25. Rio Americano-Sacramento (20-12).
AROUND THE HORN
For the section finals version of our NorCal Baseball Rankings, we ended up with a shuffle, but not a remix.
St. Francis-Mountain View held on to the No. 1 ranking for the third straight week as it held off a feisty former-No. 7 Palo Alto in an extra-innings classic to take home the Central Coast Section Division I title. The Lancers prevailed 1-0 on an eighth-inning sacrifice fly off the bat of shortstop Elias Duncan.
After pushing the region’s top team to the limit, Palo Alto’s ascent in the rankings continued to No. 4. They are the only new Top 5 team as we enter regional playoff week. De La Salle-Concord, Foothill-Pleasanton and Valley Christian-San Jose remain in the top quarter of the rankings, but each are in new spots.
De La Salle needed nine innings and multiple comeback efforts to vanquish Foothill 9-6 in the North Coast Section Div. I final. The Spartans were actually down to their final out before Kai Smith tied the game 6-6 on an RBI infield single.
Valley Christian moves behind Palo Alto after the Warriors were bounced from the CCS semifinal on a 7-0 loss to the Vikings. Bellarmine-San Jose, which fell 9-1 to St. Francis in the other semifinal, stay at No. 6.
Eight of the Top 10 teams begin regional playoff action today. The only two that didn’t make the field were No. 7 California-San Ramon (ousted by Foothill in the NCS Div. I semis) and No. 8 Woodcreek-Roseville (former No. 1 who was upset in SJS Div. I opening round). The Timberwolves remain above No. 9 Mitty due to an 11-1, mercy-rule win in the NorCal Boras Classic championship game. A couple wins in the Div. II regional bracket (where the Monarchs are a 2 seed) could change that.
The two biggest movers of the week were Sac-Joaquin Section champions Granite Bay (Div. II) and Whitney-Rocklin (Div. I). Both teams moved up five spots to take over No. 11 and 12, respectively. Granite Bay remains above Whitney having won two of the three matchups between the clubs during Sierra Foothill League play.