Teamwork. It’s what sets us apart! If you have a penchant for rugby beyond that of all your friends. If you dream about shepherding the USA team to the RWC Sevens championships, then we want you on our team. Rugby NorCal is looking to hire its next new exec!
Ok, back to earth. If you dream about shepherding young rugby players… then this is for you. Oh, and progressing the sport. Yeah, that’s important too. Uh, well, why don’t I just let the current Executive Director tell you what they’re looking for. Here goes.
RUGBY NORCAL EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR: JOB DESCRIPTION
With over 5,200 members and 65 clubs, RNC is large and growing fast. Future growth will be driven by a comprehensive strategic plan and a transition from volunteer to professional leadership, including a new Executive Director position.
The RNC Executive Director will be responsible for four critical primary functions: rugby growth & development, member services, organizational administration, and organizational financial stability.
This is a full-time position with 40 or more hours of work per week anticipated. This position will also include some work on nights and weekends, for special projects and tournaments.
Qualifications & Competencies
RNC is looking for a person with a demonstrated commitment to the growth and development of the game of rugby in the United States, as well as knowledge of, and experience with, youth sports.
A Bachelor’s degree is required (MBA desired), with a degree in business preferred. At least four years of experience in a sports management related position, and with an emphasis on operations management, is desired.
Excellent oral and written communication skills must be demonstrable, along with the ability to set and implement a detailed plan and to manage complex logistics and multiple projects simultaneously.
Adaptability and the ability to update priorities and strategies as needed are desired traits, as is the ability to collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
The Executive Director will interface frequently with RNC members and other stakeholders and a friendly and positive personality matched with a service-oriented outlook is vital to the success and effectiveness of the position.
The Executive Director will leverage members and internal resources for the betterment and continued success of youth rugby in Northern California.
Duties & Responsibilities
Rugby Growth & Development
- Manage initiatives aimed at growing the game at every level and across every category (High School, U8-U18 Club, 7s, Boys and Girls)
- Create a comprehensive, structured Rookie Rugby League of youth outreach and implementation in Northern California for the Regional Development Officers, including: o Identifying target organizations/partners and outreach tactics
- Delivering Rookie Rugby and Try on Rugby program materials to organizations
- Assist in the selection, training and supervising of part-time League Coordinators/ Coaches in each sub-region
- Support the existing membership and committee leaders to execute development plans, schedules, trainings, and meetings
- Responsible for the direct supervision of 1-3 Regional Development Officers (RDOs)
- Implement revised organizational policies and procedures and ensure that members have an effective understanding of, and access to these policies
- Support updated communication pathways and protocols including the RNC website, newsletters, social media, etc., to ensure active and participatory engagement with membership and a broader external audience
- Manage member categories (coaches, administrators, referees, players) and ensure top-notch customer-focused member services
- Uphold disciplinary policies and support the RNC Disciplinary Committee
- Create a pervasive and self-sustaining positive and supportive youth sports culture within RNC including: o Partnership with the local organizations or chapters. e.g. Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA)
- Implementing policies and incentives for positive behavior by athletes, coaches, parents, fans, etc.
- Oversee and administer all day to day business operations for a youth sports non-profit
- Regularly communicate with member categories and partner governing bodies and USA Rugby
- Primary contact for inquiries, concerns, partnerships, etc.
- Send general email notifications to membership
- Update website/social media content as needed
- Support annual general meeting (AGM) and quarterly BOD Meeting logistical planning and execution
- Ordering and shipping supplies for outreach and marketing, etc.
- Hire, oversee, train and work effectively with any managers or interns hired by RNC
- Management of the RNC Player Welfare Program(PWP)
Organizational Financial Stability
- Solicit and confirm corporate sponsors and partners
- Successfully run fundraising campaigns on a multitude of platforms (web-based, dinners, events)
- Responsible for the financial bookkeeping and accounting, keeping track of expenditures and revenues, as well as banking and accounting in the office, including issuing checks
The Executive Director is a full-time position that will report to the Board of Directors of Rugby NorCal.
Compensation will be commensurate with relevant skills and experience, with certain benefits available and open to negotiation.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and at least 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration. Visit Rugby NorCal homepage for information about the organization.
About Rugby NorCal
RNC is a California 501(c)3 non-profit.
Youth Rugby in Northern California has a storied history. Our oldest teams started competing in the 70’s at the High School level.
After much growth and development, Rugby California was created to govern youth and high school rugby in the entire state. After two years, it became evident that the State was too large for one organization to govern.
In August, 2010, the Northern California Youth Rugby Association (NCYRA) was formally established. It was governed by a Board of Directors and the various Conference Representatives, including a Referee Society Member. On February 4th, 2015, the NCYRA officially changed its name to Rugby NorCal.
SportStars is the Official Media Partner of Rugby NorCal.
Photo by Connie Hatfield courtesy Sports Today