It’s finally here…2021! This will be a year of transitions and adjusting to our “new normal.” It is my hope that this year provides opportunity for all athletes to get back to what they love to do! New Year, New Opportunities in Sports Training. Lets do this!
We made it to 2021!! Let’s get ready to compete!
My favorite book of the year was, hands down, Breath by James Nestor. This book has useful information for anyone who feels stressed by every day life, and has a lot of useful information for athletes. And even more value for athletes who suffer from Vocal Cord Dysfunction, more specifically Exercise-Induced Laryngeal Obstruction. The book offers a wealth of information on why managing our breathing is so valuable to our health, various ways our breathing is compromised, and practical exercises we can all do to improve our breathing. If you like wellness, are interested in improving performance, or want to actively reduce stress this book is a must read! You can learn more by clicking here: Breath – James Nestor
In an effort to accommodate more athletes and offer mental training at a more affordable price, I will be offering group training starting in 2021. All groups will be online and are designed individuals but teams may be accommodated. Here are the groups you may be interested in.
1. Exercise-Induced Laryngeal Obstruction (Vocal Cord Dysfunction for athletes) peer support group. These groups are to provide peer support, skills and techniques to help athletes manage their VCD/EILO. These groups are kept small (max of 6 per group) and may be gender specific if numbers allow. I periodically invite guests such as doctors, specialists, and professional athletes to help athletes perform their best!
2. Mental Training Fundamentals Group – 6-week course to learn the basics of mental training to enable you mentally perform with strength and consistency. This is an excellent starter course if you’re new to mental training.
3. Post Covid-19 Return to Sport Group – After many, many months of not competing, returning to competition can be frustrating and confusing. Your skills haven’t disappeared, but you may feel rusty and not as comfortable dealing with the pressure of the game. This group will help fast track athletes to get back to their best! This group is ideal for athletes who already have the mental training fundamentals and are looking to fine-tune their skills as they get back to competition.
Goals for the new year!!
To start your year off right, here are a few questions to get you thinking about your sport goals for 2021.
1. What is your big, long-term, outcome goal for 2021? Another way to think about it, is what do you want to accomplish in 2021?
2. What are 3 technical or physical things you need to improve to move towards your goal?
3. Name 3 priorities that you need to focus on daily/weekly to improve your technical or physical improvements.
Now you have a workable plan to start 2021!
Stay Tuned In
Erika Westhoff Performance is excited to announce our soon to be released Mental Mastery App! This tool will be available for use by all EW Performance clients and help you track your progress, stay on track with your training and learn all the fundamentals of mental training! Stay tuned for the upcoming release date!! Above is our sneak peak of one of our educational videos. This is one of the most important steps in goal setting!
Revisit my last post, “Why Evaluate: Athlete Season Performance Evaluations”
Follow me or feel welcome to inquire with further questions, for pricing or which group is the best fit for you at Erika@EWPerformance.com.