De La Salle Is Back Up To No. 2 As 10 Other Teams Move Downward In Topsy-Turvy NorCal Baseball Rankings •
NorCal Baseball Rankings
All records are through Tuesday, May 9 (via MaxPreps). Previous rank is in parenthesis.
PICTURED ABOVE: Senior Outfielder Tanner Griffith Of No. 2 De La Salle-Concord (Jean-Paul Toshiro photo)
1. (1) Valley Christian-San Jose 25-3
2. (3) De La Salle-Concord 20-4
3. (2) Cardinal Newman-Santa Rosa 22-1
4. (4) St. Mary’s-Stockton 22-6
5. (8) Franklin-Elk Grove 25-4
6. (5) Archbishop Mitty-San Jose 20-6
7. (6) Whitney-Rocklin 23-6
8. (13) Amador Valley-Pleasanton 18-4
9. (9) Clayton Valley-Concord 17-5
10. (14) Granada-Livermore 19-6
11. (15) Lincoln-Stockton 22-7
12. (10) St. Francis-Mountain View 15-11
13. (17) Los Gatos 19-6
14. (NR) St. Ignatius-S.F. 15-11
15. (NR) Oak Ridge-El Dorado Hills 15-12-1
16. (16) Marin Catholic-Kentfield 19-6
17. (NR) Woodcreek-Roseville 20-8-1
18. (7) Bellarmine-San Jose 14-11-1
19. (NR) Dublin 16-8
20. (18) San Ramon Valley-Danville 16-9
No. 11 Foothill-Pleasanton, No. 12 Elk Grove, No.19 Serra-San Mateo and No. 20 Hollister
5 TEAMS KNOCKING:
21. Foothill-Pleasanton (15-9), 22. Sacred Heart Prep-Atherton (19-6-1), 23. Aptos (18-5), 24. Christian Brothers-Sacramento (20-6-1) and 25. Casa Grande-Petaluma (19-5).
AROUND THE HORN
One section is already fully engulfed in its playoffs, while others are wrapping up league tournaments. And for a few teams from last week’s NorCal Baseball Rankings, the diamond was unkind.
Three different teams went 0-3 last week, and only one of them — previous-No. 7 Bellarmine-San Jose — was able to hang on to the edge of the cliff. The Bells dropped to No. 18 but face a tough three-game stretch of Serra-San Mateo, Aptos and Hollister that begins today (May 10). Serra and Hollister both just dropped out of the rankings this week, and Aptos climbed into the “5 Knocking” list.
At the top of the rankings, we saw a slight shift within the Top 5. Cardinal Newman-Santa Rosa, which has been No. 2 since winning the Boras Classic in early April, finally suffered its first loss of the season (5-4 to league-rival Windsor). The Cardinals avenged the loss two days later with a 9-0 shutout, but still slide one spot as De La Salle ascends to No. 2.
As the Sac-Joaquin Section playoffs get set for quarterfinals, Franklin-Elk Grove seems to be the top dog in Division I. The Wildcats have won 11 in a row and moved up three spots to take over No. 5. Their quarterfinal game will come against a resurgent Oak Ridge-El Dorado Hills team that beat them 9-1 back on March 11. The Trojans are back in the rankings at No. 15 this week.
Dublin is another team that dropped recently, but found its way back in. The Gaels return to No. 19, benefitting from fellow East Bay Athletic League foe Foothill-Pleasanton being one of the teams to go 0-3 last week. Dublin’s full body of work helps it here, too. It’s one of the four teams to hang a loss on De La Salle this season.
With back-to-back wins over Bellarmine, St. Ignatius-S.F. returns to the rankings at No. 14. And finally, Woodcreek-Roseville makes its 2023 debut at No. 17. The Timberwolves have gone 14-2 since early April.