- West Park: New Education | School To Debut Amid Strange Times
- Anson Aroz: The Constant | Meet Placer Baseball’s Problem Solver
- Little League: Caught In A Pickle | East Bay Chapters Ride COVID Wave
- Fall Sports’ Alternate Reality: An Imagined Sports Future
- SportStars’ Softball Big 10 | NorCal’s Best Players (’11-’20)
- Lindsey Berg Volleyball Tips for Setters
- SportStars’ Overall Boys Athlete Big 10 | NorCal’s Best Male Athletes (’11-’20)
- SportStars’ Overall Girls Athlete Big 10 | NorCal’s Best Female Athletes (’11-’20)
- 2020 AWN’s High School All-American Team
- Mark Tennis: CIF, Sections, Districts Face Tough Decisions In Turbulent Times
- 10 Years Of SportStars’ Staff Memories & Favorites
- MLB Draft 2020: Seven NorCal Natives Selected, Two Stay In Bay
- Nick Yorke, Boston Red Sox 1st Round Pick | SportStar Of The Week
- Kerry McCoy Takes Over California RTC
- Frank Cheek, Legendary Humboldt State Coach Passes
Concord 5000 Set For Nov. 11
- Updated: November 7, 2018
Popular, Affordable 5K Benefitting The Armed Forces And Its Veterans Takes Place At Newhall Park •
On Nov. 11, Diablo Valley Federal Credit Union will present the Concord 5000 5K Run/Walk to benefit the Contra Costa Blue Star Moms.
The Blue Star Moms are a non-profit organization devoted to supporting members of the armed forces and its veterans.
The Concord 5000 will begin on soccer field at Newhall Park and proceed out of the park, across Ayers Road and continue on the California Riding and Hiking Trial toward Alberta Way and Clayton Valley Charter High School. Participants will make one lap of the track within school’s Gonsalves Stadium before heading back toward Newhall Park’s finish line.
There will be age-based awards, a finish area festival with sponsor tables, water and small food items at the finish area and t-shirts/medals for the finishers. The Concord 5000 course will feature both distance markers and hydration stations.
Sports Basement is donating a $50 gift card to the overall Men’s and Women’s first place finishers. Diablo Valley FCU will add a $50 VISA gift card if anyone breaks the Concord 5000 course records.
The Men’s course record belongs to Jordan Reyes with a time of 18 minutes, 43 seconds. Christine Brighton set the Women’s course record in a time of 22:26.
The top two women’s finishers from last year won’t be competing in 2018. Last year’s Men’s champion is expected to race.
For those interested in the event, registration is $30 prior to October 31, and $35 for before Nov. 11. Race Day registration will be $40. Register online at Concord5000.com and use the code word “RED” to receive a $5 discount.