- Bryson: What If CIF Needs A Plan B For 2020-21?
- Amid Covid Crisis Collin Morikawa Wins. Golf Thrives!
- SportStars’ 2019-20 NorCal Team Of The Year VOTE
- Lily Freitas | SportStars’ 2019-20 Sac-Joaquin Female Athlete of the Year
- Prophet Brown | SportStars’ 2019-20 Sac-Joaquin Male Athlete of the Year
- ’19-’20 Bay Area 75 Rankings, Part 3 | Nos. 25-1
- ’19-’20 Bay Area 75 Rankings, Part 2 | Nos. 50-26
- ’19-’20 Bay Area 75 Rankings, Part 1 | Nos. 75-51
- SAVE STANFORD WRESTLING
- Lindsey Berg’s Volleyball Keys to More Accurate Setting Using the “W”
- Athlete Season Performance Evaluations
- Clutch Par Bags Golf Championship for CSU Fullerton’s Sara Camarena
- Virtual Recruiting 101 | NCVA Helps Host Volleyball Recruiting Webinars
- Deep Punt | CIF Sports Sidelined Until Mid-December
- California College State Wrestling Championships: A Look Back at 1991
Key is to Work on Your Explosiveness and Power
- Updated: August 1, 2018
You often hear “speed kills…”
…and if you caught any of the World Cup 7s in San Francisco, you know this is especially true. Watch these videos featuring the best tries in rugby, these from the RWC7s. Rugby is a game of stops and starts, and therefore, not only is increasing your overall speed important, the key is to work on your explosiveness and power.
And moving quickly from point A to point B.
In the high school game, I often see students doing a lot of strength training or building endurance on long runs.
Obviously there are a few moments when you might be asked to run 50, 60, 70+ meters for a try. But typically, most runs are short; within 5-10 meters through a gap before you offload to a teammate. With this quickness of speed in mind, check out some of my favorite videos to inspire you to do some exercises on your own to build up your speed.
- Best Plyometric Exercises for Speed with coach Brian Klepacki, Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzrW4JrN_HE
- 2 Exercises to Increase Top Speed with Overtime Athletes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6at7QVAagGo
- How to Improve Acceleration, Quickness (Watch fast get faster as Theo Walcott hits the training ground with strength and conditioning coach Cameron Goff): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-5VPhqmVpg
Feature image, USA Eagle Perry Baker – Photo Credit: GiveMeSport.com